Friday, March 21, 2014

Upcoming Challenges


Recently, I have been thinking a lot about my future. My retirement from the fire service gave me an empty feeling and not long after moving to Texas, I was considering what my next job would be.    
Following the accident, my professional goals changed a lot. Prior to my accident, I honestly thought that I was ready to retire. I realized a few months after my accident how much my career meant to me. I was fortunate to be asked to join Project Rebirth as the First Responder Outreach Coordinator. Through Project Rebirth I have been able to assist others who are facing very difficult situations in their personal lives. One of the most rewarding things that I have done is to represent Project Rebirth during Ride2Recovery events. Not only have I made many new friends, but I have truly been inspired by so many who are facing significant challenges. I have come to realize that helping others is part of my DNA.
Even though my professional goals have been placed on hold over the last three years due my injury, my focus now is on how I can help others. After my upcoming surgery my goal is be even more involved with Project Rebirth and identify more ways that I can assist other TBI patients. 

I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes:
"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
 -Albert Einstein

For more information on Project Rebirth, visit their website: http://www.projectrebirth.org/

1 comment:

  1. Your story is very inspirational.
    Thank you!
    We wish you a very good recovery from your skull replacement.

    ReplyDelete