Monday, March 31, 2014

Next Step in my Journey



In the coming week, I will be undergoing my fourth brain surgery in three years. My surgery involves putting in a synthetic skull piece to replace the bone that was removed last fall. While I am not looking forward to the upcoming surgery, I am focusing on the positive. 

This past weekend we had a day-long trip that involved about six hours of driving.  Between the bouncing around during the drive and walking around I was quickly reminded of why I need to go forward with the surgery. Walking around with part of your skull missing isn’t safe and it has most definitely limited my ability to be physically active. 

I had really wanted to participate in the recent Ride2Recovery Texas Challenge but wasn’t able to because of my upcoming surgery. I missed being part of the ride but was happy to be able to keep up with what was happening through Facebook. The posts definitely inspired me. My goal is to get back to biking and running within a few months of the surgery.

I am continually reminded that recovery from a brain injury is a journey that requires a lot of support. I am very fortunate to have an unbelievable family and a great network of friends. 

If you are reading this blog, please don’t hesitate to share your story or thoughts.  They are helpful to me and other TBI survivors, caretakers and family members.

Have a great week!

For more information on Ride 2 Recovery visit their website at https://ride2recovery.com/.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Brother!!! Keep on truckin'... you know the bond we share cannot go on without continuing our journey and our talked about goals. We will journey back to cross and achieve those once mentioned. Love ya!!! God Speed!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to continuing our journey! Your support is invaluable to me. Love ya too!

      Delete
  2. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
    (Mat 6:33-34 ESV)
    Proud of you. Wish we were closer!
    Uncle Bud

    ReplyDelete