Thursday, December 5, 2013

Fall 2013 Challenges

This Fall was full of challenges, both physical and academic.  Most of the experiences were meaningful and it was some of the best months since my TBI occurred almost two and a half years ago.
In early September I participated in Ride 2 Recovery’s Minuteman Ride.  The Ride was from Boston, MA, to Philadelphia, PA, and covered about 450 miles.  Ride 2 Recovery (https://ride2recovery.com/) is an organization helping our Nation’s Service members recover through cycling.  I participated in the Ride on behalf of Project Rebirth.  During the seven day ride I made great friends and now I feel like part of the R2R family.  Thanks to Cadence Cyclery in McKinney, TX, I was able to prepare for the Minuteman Ride and through their weekly rides I was able to rebuild my cycling foundation.  
For me, the most meaningful part of the Minuteman Ride involved spending September 11th with a group of people who accepted the challenge to protect the United States after one of the world’s most significant acts of terrorism.  Many of the soldiers on this ride joined the military after 9/11, and all of them made significant sacrifices.  For many of us who responded to 9/11 events, it can be pretty rough, but being with this group changed my outlook on this day - probably forever!  I repeated “Thank You” many times during this ride and I meant every word.  I have included some photos from the Minuteman Ride below.
Fall also brought an academic challenge as I worked on completing my second to last class to complete my Bachelors Degree, and it was the third class since my injury.  The class was a math course, something I had been avoiding for many years.  After my TBI, my academic advisor recommended that I notify instructors at the beginning of each class about my medical history in case any issues occurred.  
I notified my math instructor during the first week of the class with a one sentence explanation.  The response I received back was “So I guess you expect me to accept late assignments.”  Because this response was so insensitive and unprofessional, it took me several days to shake the negative feelings that this exchange created.  It was a reminder that not everyone understands/appreciates the challenges that face those with brain injuries.  I was able to move on and successfully complete the class.   
While my injury has slowed me down I am glad that I am able to continue with my education and my cycling. 
Please don’t hesitate posting your suggestions and thoughts.  They are helpful to me and other TBI survivors, caretakers and family members.
Wishing all a Happy Holiday Season!





No comments:

Post a Comment