Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Back on the Bike


One of the most important parts of my life prior to my accident involved physical activity.  I loved cycling, running, swimming and martial arts. Seven months before my fall I completed in the SavageMan Triathlon which is now considered one of the most challenging triathlons in the world.  Eighteen months before the SavageMan race my son and I earned our black belts at the Arlington, Virginia, Jhoon Rhee Tae Kwon Do.  It took us five years of training to get our black belts.  I regularly competed in century rides and occasionally in 24-hour bike races. My job with the Fire Department also required that I be very physically fit. Physical fitness wasn’t just a part of my life in many ways it defined who I was.   On the day before I fell I ran 11 miles.  At the time of my accident I was around 180 pounds and my body fat level was less than 10%.   My run is the last thing I remember until about six weeks after my accident.  

By the time I was aware enough to realize that I had been injured, I had lost almost 50 pounds and my weight had dropped to about 130 pounds.  For the first month and a half I was pretty much bed ridden and being fed through a tube.  Although I really don’t remember my early physical rehab, I am very thankful that my doctors started it as soon as my health had stabilized.  In the beginning I couldn’t sit up on my own or stand.  My physical therapists had to get me up and out of bed.  Slowly I learned to balance myself enough that the therapists could hold me up and “walk” me down the hallways of the hospital.  These short walks seemed like miles at first.  Sitting up in a wheelchair required belts around my waist and shoulders.

I remember being bothered by my inability to move around by myself and frustrated by how little I could do.   It was demoralizing to have to rely on other people to get around.  One of my friends that visited me at the hospital told me two years later that I reminded him of a very frail and ill seventy-year old man; at the time of his visit I was forty eight.

My physical rehab continued when I went home and started at Pate Rehab as an outpatient.  Every morning I had to be walked out to the van when it picked me up.  My family would go on walks with me around our neighborhood and I remember how challenging it was to walk down the street let alone down to the nearby pond.   Any physical activity required a lot of rest to catch up afterwards.  I seemed to sleep more than anything. This lasted for close to a year and I felt like my progress was moving very slowly. 

One of the greatest challenges I have faced during my recovery has been accepting the fact that in order to recover in a positive way I couldn’t push myself in the same way that I had before I was injured.  While any amount of physical activity can assist those dealing with a TBI, if you push too hard you end up in a one step forward two-step back mode.  My family and doctors have played an important role in helping me manage my physical recovery.  I realize that I have frustrated them because I have not always heeded their advice or warnings about my activities.  

As an example, last Spring I had started riding again and was going to do part of the R2R group ride that started in San Antonio, Texas.  While I was training, I didn’t really use my water bottle while I was riding.  During the R2R ride I went to drink from the bottle and ending up choking.  It is really hard to ride your bike when you are choking, pedaling and laughing.  I also did the entire ride from San Antonio to San Marcos because I got caught up in the spirit of the ride. However, at the time I was not really prepared to do that long of a ride and ended up not feeling well and recovering for the next several days. 

Almost 2 1/2 years after my accident being physically fit has once again become a high priority for me. I believe that engaging in physical activity has made a significant difference in my mental and physical recovery.  I realize how fortunate I am that I can even have this as a priority and actually at times this had been a source of guilt.  I hope that I am finally beginning to make smarter decisions about what I do and when.  For a while I was determined to return to martial arts but realize that while it is something that I enjoy the risk of my being reinjured is fairly high.  I realize that I also run a risk with my cycling and I am working to cycle as safely as possible.

My message to others recovering from a TBI is to be physically active to the extent that you can and that your doctor approves.  Physical activity helps with improved blood flow and the recovery of the brain and your body.  Just be smart about whatever you do.  Once you have suffered a TBI your chances for suffering another injury increase so being thoughtful about what you do is vital. 

Although recovering from a TBI takes a long period of time and makes changes in our lives, please remember how blessed we are to be survivors.  Accepting the changes we face can actually open new doors for us as we move forward.  For me this period of time represents a personal rebirth.  I would like to mention one of my most challenging days when I returned to cycling which involved drinking from a water bottle. 

For those of you who are involved in cycling or other sports, I wanted to share a new helmet system.  While writing this blog post I discovered the new brain protective MIPS helmet systems used by many sports http://mipshelmet.com/find-a-helmet.  I purchased the Scott Lin helmet at Cadence Cyclery http://www.cadencecyclery.com/ in McKinney, Texas.  In July I started doing group rides with Cadence and I am really enjoying them.

I hope that this blog is helpful to others recovering from a TBI.  I would love to hear from others what has worked for them as they travel the path of recovery. 

As I was getting ready to post this, I saw an article on the benefits of exercise to our brain and thought would share it http://www.dailygood.org/pdf/dg.php?sid=440.



No comments:

Post a Comment