Saturday, July 27, 2013

With this blog, I want to share resources that are helping me with my recovery.

Rosemary Rawlins is the author of Learning by Accident and a blogger for BrainLine.org. Her husband sustained a Traumatic Brain Injury as a result of a biking accident. Her book Learning by Accident was extremely helpful for my wife in understanding the challenges of dealing with a TBI and the recovery process. One of her more recent articles on BrainLine.org, "Independence Day," does a great job of articulating the challenges of allowing a loved one to move on to a normal/active life after their accidents. As a very active and athletic person this really hit home.

"For caregivers, letting go can be as painful as the injury itself. I had to keep reminding myself that Hugh wasn’t trying to upset me. I also had to come to terms with allowing Hugh to live as full a life as he deserved after so close a call. I have to say, eleven years after, I’m glad I did let go."

"Independence Day":
http://www.brainline.org/content/2013/06/independence-day.html

Check out Learning by Accident on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Learning-by-Accident/257480204265199

No comments:

Post a Comment